Ralph

The next big Runex update

I wanted to start a discussion as to what the next big update should be to potentially send it off to Ryan and get his thoughts.

I'm sure Ryan's already got somewhat of a plan of action for the next update, however, I believe as of the last update (Specifically, Max guild expansion, GWD superiors, and item additions such as Crestroot), Runex is full up on completely new content as of now. I'd really like to see some reworks/expansions and quality of life updates.

For a suggestion as to what the next update should be, I had a couple of suggestions. These are just my personal favorites I've heard/thought up, and I'd love to know what other suggestions you guys have.

• Client update
    • Runelite features
      • I feel like adding more features that are similar to Runelite would be very beneficial not only for the current player-base, but as an advertisement piece to attract more players to the server. Adding features such as ground item names (with an edit option so you can change the color of specific items and remove others), loot tracker (different from collection log, shows actual loot, not just rare ones), and tile markers just to name a few.
    • Sound
      • I know there is a sound beta but at this point in Runex's development, it seems it was abandoned by Nate and Ryan. This one would not be as important to add, as the majority of players wouldn't care as much if this was added and might just play without sound anyways.
  • Old content rework
    • Skilling tasks
      • I talked with @nota about some possible changes that could greatly reduce the amount of monotony of the grind. But how should Ryan go about changing them to make them more engaging. This would be done in a couple of ways:
        • Updating the pool of available tasks would be a great start. For example, adding the rooftop courses to the list for agility training, more than just implings for hunter, and adding herb seeds for farming.
        • We also currently don't have any tasks for thieving or construction. For thieving, the tasks would be pretty self explanatory: stalls, pick-pocketing, and Rogue's chest. As for construction, anything involving planks only (and nails for regular planks ofc), should be fair game. Just to make it so you aren't required to use items like gold leafs which would be unreasonable to require.
        • The skipping system should also be reworked, I think it'd be a great idea if you could block 4 skills at a time to ensure you won't get tasks for those skills. I think having task streaks integrated into skilling tasks would also make them more engaging (rather than just skipping until you get a fast task). Like slayer this task streak would be reset upon skipping or blocking tasks and would give extra points every 5 consecutive task streaks.
    • Superior bosses
      • Oceanic and Hydra armor
        • I know this has already been mentioned in a forums post by @Munchy (and technically added to the game, with the aforementioned GWD superiors), but I believe the old set of superior armors should be updated to have the same sort of mechanics.
      • Superior Corporeal Beast (Colossal Beast)
        • I believe @Iron Logic was the one to suggest this idea, but unfortunately I don't think he ever made a forums post for it or I just can't find it. However the idea was essentially a superior version of Corp that would spawn similar to how Emole spawns. The rate would most likely end up being less rare than Emole, since Corp generally takes longer to kill than Giant mole (I believe Giant mole is somewhere around 1/100, so for example, 1/50 for the Superior Corp).
          • Mechanics: I think having an attack similar to Emole's with the vines coming out of the floor would be great, however I suggest implementing a more Corp themed mechanic, Dark cores. However I think it would be interesting if these dark cores were 2x2 instead of 1x1 (Colossal cores). At the beginning of the fight, the Colossal beast will send out a horde of Colossal cores relative to the amount of people fighting it, that will randomly bounce around the room and deal significant damage to players who don't move out of the way. You would also be required to use a spear or hasta to deal damage to it, and thus, get a drop from it.
          • Drops: Similar to Emole, there'd be a guaranteed drop that could be traded in for similar rewards to Emole, with an uncommon chance at a Spirit shield or Holy elixir. As well as the same rare drops as Emole, including an epic pet with a passive analogous to Emole pet's passive. It was also suggested by logic that the rare drops for the Colossal Beast be a new sigil-like item that can be added onto any of the existing spirit shields.
            • Upgraded Spectral: completely negates prayer drain at Cerberus and Olm, as well as buffed prayer and defense bonuses.
            • Upgraded Arcane: 5% extra magic damage as well as buffed prayer and defense bonuses.
            • Upgraded Elysian: gain a small amount of prayer points relative to the damage mitigation you get from Elysian's passive. For example, if the upgraded Elysian blocks 10 damage, you'll gain 1 prayer point.
            • Upgraded Divine: somewhat inversely to the upgraded Elysian shield, the upgraded divine will give a low % chance (10%-20% would be good in my opinion) to mitigate a larger % of the damage at the cost of a few prayer points. 

That's all the ideas I've got for now. Feel free to add more quality of life ideas or content that you think needs to be reworked/expanded upon.

Edited by Ralph
  • Like 2

+1

The runelite features would be really cool to see and I imagine it wouldn't be an excessive amount of work. Skilling tasks absolutely need an overhaul, as I find most people end up skipping all tasks except crafting, runecrafting and bar smithing. The superior corp would be a cool communal boss to see, should definitely be harder to do than e-mole with high-tier rewards.

On 2/12/2020 at 9:10 PM, Ralph said:

Client update

• Runelite features
    • I feel like adding more features that are similar to Runelite would be very beneficial not only for the current player-base, but as an advertisement piece to attract more players to the server. Adding features such as ground item names (with an edit option so you can change the color of specific items and remove others), loot tracker (different from collection log, shows actual loot, not just rare ones), and tile markers just to name a few.

Absolute fat +1. Would bring a ton of appeal to the game for sure, especially if things have some customizable options!

• Sound
      • I know there is a sound beta but at this point in Runex's development, it seems it was abandoned by Nate and Ryan. This one would not be as important to add, as the majority of players wouldn't care as much if this was added and might just play without sound anyways.
  •  

Depends on how much work this would be. I barelly know anyone who would play with sound on anyway so I, personally, would rather see this time go to other things.

Skilling tasks

• I talked with @nota about some possible changes that could greatly reduce the amount of monotony of the grind. But how should Ryan go about changing them to make them more engaging. This would be done in a couple of ways:
    • Updating the pool of available tasks would be a great start. For example, adding the rooftop courses to the list for agility training, more than just implings for hunter, and adding herb seeds for farming.
    • We also currently don't have any tasks for thieving or construction. For thieving, the tasks would be pretty self explanatory: stalls, pick-pocketing, and Rogue's chest. As for construction, anything involving planks only (and nails for regular planks ofc), should be fair game. Just to make it so you aren't required to use items like gold leafs which would be unreasonable to require.

+1. could make it more interesting than it already is. Additional suggestion: Would be nice to see "wilderness skilling tasks" that give additional rewards such as woodcutting in the wilderness, fishing, mining, thieving etc.

Superior bosses

• Oceanic and Hydra armor
    • I know this has already been mentioned in a forums post by @Munchy (and technically added to the game, with the aforementioned GWD superiors), but I believe the old set of superior armors should be updated to have the same sort of mechanics.

No opinion. not sure what the point of this would be at this point in time. Not quite sure what you're suggesting here.

Superior Corporeal Beast (Colossal Beast)

• I believe @Iron Logic was the one to suggest this idea, but unfortunately I don't think he ever made a forums post for it or I just can't find it. However the idea was essentially a superior version of Corp that would spawn similar to how Emole spawns. The rate would most likely end up being less rare than Emole, since Corp generally takes longer to kill than Giant mole (I believe Giant mole is somewhere around 1/100, so for example, 1/50 for the Superior Corp).
    • Mechanics: I think having an attack similar to Emole's with the vines coming out of the floor would be great, however I suggest implementing a more Corp themed mechanic, Dark cores. However I think it would be interesting if these dark cores were 2x2 instead of 1x1 (Colossal cores). At the beginning of the fight, the Colossal beast will send out a horde of Colossal cores relative to the amount of people fighting it, that will randomly bounce around the room and deal significant damage to players who don't move out of the way. You would also be required to use a spear or hasta to deal damage to it, and thus, get a drop from it.
    • Drops: Similar to Emole, there'd be a guaranteed drop that could be traded in for similar rewards to Emole, with an uncommon chance at a Spirit shield or Holy elixir. As well as the same rare drops as Emole, including an epic pet with a passive analogous to Emole pet's passive. It was also suggested by logic that the rare drops for the Colossal Beast be a new sigil-like item that can be added onto any of the existing spirit shields.
      • Upgraded Spectral: completely negates prayer drain at Cerberus and Olm, as well as buffed prayer and defense bonuses.
      • Upgraded Arcane: 5% extra magic damage as well as buffed prayer and defense bonuses.
      • Upgraded Elysian: gain a small amount of prayer points relative to the damage mitigation you get from Elysian's passive. For example, if the upgraded Elysian blocks 10 damage, you'll gain 1 prayer point.
      • Upgraded Divine: somewhat inversely to the upgraded Elysian shield, the upgraded divine will give a low % chance (10%-20% would be good in my opinion) to mitigate a larger % of the damage at the cost of a few prayer points. 

Giant +1. Would love a superior boss for this!

For the upgraded shields I think it should drop an upgrade item of some sorts that can be used on all the spirit shields. Additionally, a Corp Horn would be nice to see on here at perhaps like a 1/50 drop rate or so? Same thing the mole horn would do.

26 minutes ago, metal raimon said:

For the upgraded shields I think it should drop an upgrade item of some sorts that can be used on all the spirit shields. Additionally, a Corp Horn would be nice to see on here at perhaps like a 1/50 drop rate or so? Same thing the mole horn would do.

I forgot to mention the part about having a Superior corp horn (Spectral horn or something). But yeah that's what I meant by "sigil-like" item that you can attach to the existing shields.

• Like 1

Thanks for making this post @Ralph, really like all the ideas, especially the corp one ;)

Superior corp would be a great community boss [Not superior] and it should be challenging, not a cake walk like e mole.

+ 1 for everything.

Runelite features

+1

Sound

ehh, if its easy, sure. 

Skilling tasks

+1 but also see

Oceanic and Hydra armor

-1 , however I do not think it would hurt to lower the amount needed to make the armors. 5 for oceanic top is pretty crazy considering I've gotten 1 scale in a total of around 70,000 kraken kills and around 120 superior with epic lucks. 3 for top, 2 for legs, 1 for hat would be more reasonable. input for oceanic gear only 

Superior Corporeal Beast (Colossal Beast)

+1 - i like the idea of a new group boss and corp seems like a good one. It would be cool to see upgraded spirit shields but also have it drop things like epic boxes like emole does. 

lastly, please see