Sign in to follow this  
52xp

Experience Token Bug

I've noticed this probably hundreds of times but, honestly, never thought to say anything about it because it never clicked in my head that it was an actual issue.

@Dragon Paws mentioned earlier that he was getting different experience drops while making Mahogany Tables in his POH (gl on 200m Construction btw). It turns out, this doesn't only happen with Construction and actually happens with any skill you train while using experience boosting tokens (skiller, combat, catalyst, mystic, etc.). 

For some reason, there seems to be a lack of overlap when performing an action that gives a high enough exp drop. This results in a significantly (roughly 20-30%) lower experience drop every few actions instead of the full amount.

In this case, I tested with Mahogany Tables on the Supreme game mode. You get 16,800 base experience. With Catalyst Tokens (x3), that is now a flat 50,400 experience. The issue is, the first action provides the correct 50,400 experience with the second providing 38,779. This is an overall ~25% exp reduction for no apparent reason, as if some of the tokens didn't work at all. I made 12 Mahogany tables (3 inventories) to see if I could find some kind of pattern to hopefully make the issue easier to be found.

Here are the results of those:

1.) 50,400 exp
2.) 38,779 exp
3.) 50,400 exp
4.) 50,400 exp
5.) 39,600 exp
6.) 50,400 exp
7.) 50,400 exp
8.) 39,600 exp
9.) 50,400 exp
10.) 50,400 exp
11.) 39,600 exp
12.) 50,400 exp

This was done with over 4,000 Catalyst tokens in my inventory and no other experience modifiers active. It seems predictable after testing this to expect less experience every third action. This could be happening because of an issue with overlap in the tokens use, such as some fraction of one token being used, e.g. 1,400/5,000 bonus exp of a Catalyst token. If that's the case, maybe we look into how that could be better? I don't know where the outlier 38,779 experience drop came from.. but I'll let you work that one out.. :^)

Normally, you may see something like this when you run out of tokens in the middle of the action. Since Construction (and many other skills) are based on experience per material used (one plank is worth X amount of experience), it would be similar to getting 3x experience (with Catalyst tokens) for 5/6 of the planks used, but not the 6th one.

TL;DR -- There is an issue where, on every 3rd experience drop (of a certain amount), players lose 22% of the total experience they would have gained while using experience boosting tokens.

I'm hoping this makes some kind of sense to you (Ryan), because I can't think of a better way to explain it. 

Edited by 52xp

The bug here with the xp tokens when it comes to skills such as construction is if you end a xp token in the middle of the action that uses multiple materials the skill xp token don't take affect intill you start a new action.

That is the reason for the bug, hopefully it can be fixed soon!