endgame range armor

I personally think there needs to be a rework of end game range armor. Currently as it stands the best in slot range gear is near impossible to obtain as it is dropped as rare leathers from superior hydra. The second best, being darkroot, is exuberantly expensive and is specialized for only crossbows which aren't very widely used. Even with these near impossible to grind end game gears the payoff for obtaining them isn't very high. For one, endgame melee gear (crest bearer, scythe and dark sun spear) vastly out dps the endgame range gear. With crest bearer giving a boost of 7.5% per piece and obtained from grand crests it is much more powerful and more common than superior hydra or darkroot. I think that end game range armors should be reworked and buffed to help rangers keep up in end game content like bossing and raids. I would love to see added % boosts on hydra and darkroot armors to make them more desirable and worth using over morrigans with corrupt brace (i).

I personally think it would be appropriate to add a 5% boost to all darkroot pieces and an additional 5% on full set use (to incentivize the helm over slayer helm), and a 7.5% boost per superior hydra piece so that it may stay best in slot for how rare it is and will continue to be. This would allow for endgame range gear to start keeping up in dps with endgame melee gear. 

To give an alternative option darkroot could be buffed to include the chance to shoot two arrows (% per piece worn) on bows in addition to the increase that it gives for crossbows as to make it more usable with the bows that majority of the player base uses like zaryte and twisted bow.

I would just like to see some more endgame range gear buffs in the near future as I find range a fun combat style but not currently able to keep up with the endgame melee gear in game. 

• Like 6

I do agree, that the difference between range bis and melee bis is very large.

Giving dark root a 5% dmg boost per piece, i think that would be fair(my opinion).

I don't have a huge opinion about the double arrow proc, because well i can imagine a double 120+ tbow hit, might make it to overpowered.

But the 5% damage per piece would be more than fair, and doesn't put range so far behind crest.

So for me it's a +1(opinion wise), and i am curious what other people think about it.

PS. giraffes are awesome.

I 100% agree with buffs, I just acquired darkroot top and it has been a nice boost from lava dhide but not as crazy as youd expect for bis range (when using crossbow which i am) 

Solid suggestion to be honest. I feel like it's the same issue on both servers, where other styles just get heavily outdone by melee being BIS by too much of a margin, when it comes to DPS vs the other styles. 

If the other armors are as rare you say they are, i'm not as expierenced on runex yet, then it would make a lot of sense to make it more up to par with crestbearer. 

Question; If you were to compare scythe to BIS options for range, do the weapons differ much in terms of DPS? Or are they pretty close tied- it's just the gear that makes a big difference?

3 hours ago, metal raimon said:

Solid suggestion to be honest. I feel like it's the same issue on both servers, where other styles just get heavily outdone by melee being BIS by too much of a margin, when it comes to DPS vs the other styles. 

If the other armors are as rare you say they are, i'm not as expierenced on runex yet, then it would make a lot of sense to make it more up to par with crestbearer. 

Question; If you were to compare scythe to BIS options for range, do the weapons differ much in terms of DPS? Or are they pretty close tied- it's just the gear that makes a big difference?

scythe will out dps tbow or zaryte bow easily 2x over without gear the crest bearer currently just widens that margin

Edited by 9

Or maybe revert crestbearer how it was before when it was bugged and worked on magic and range too!

lmfao.

I think that Darkroot should be the 7.5% and hydra should be the 5% as most of the superior boss drops are not slotted for bis but rather some unique alternatives like cerb hally as compared to scythe of vitur. This would also help to increase the use of the cash sink in the plat store for darkroot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mod Munchy said:

I think that Darkroot should be the 7.5% and hydra should be the 5% as most of the superior boss drops are not slotted for bis but rather some unique alternatives like cerb hally as compared to scythe of vitur. This would also help to increase the use of the cash sink in the plat store for darkroot.

I 100% support that especially seeing the absurd cash stack foo has right now, I think more use of the cash sink would help.

• Like 1

I do agree,because to be fair scythe hits twice so it mostly out dps everything which is normal. But the end game (or bis) range armours don't help the range weps in terms of being a bit more viable in some if not most cases.

I'd love to see some updates to end game armour across the board.

Don't get me wrong, crestbearer is cool, but it's kind of bland. Just a flat dps boost. 

I'd much prefer see some more interesting set buffs, like a chance to hit twice, increase the chance of a bolt special hit and a change to increase min and max hit by X amount.

The issue with flat DPS boosts is that it plays in to power creep. Crestbearer could have had a chance to double hits, which would still leave space for another set of melee armour with similar stats and a different ability. 

For range armour sets, I'd love to see something that increases the chance to special hit with bolts. 1 handed range is pretty weak in the pvm area, so this would be a great addition, and would still leave room for a set that boosts 2H weapons 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Iron Logic said:

I'd love to see some updates to end game armour across the board.

Don't get me wrong, crestbearer is cool, but it's kind of bland. Just a flat dps boost. 

I'd much prefer see some more interesting set buffs, like a chance to hit twice, increase the chance of a bolt special hit and a change to increase min and max hit by X amount.

The issue with flat DPS boosts is that it plays in to power creep. Crestbearer could have had a chance to double hits, which would still leave space for another set of melee armour with similar stats and a different ability. 

For range armour sets, I'd love to see something that increases the chance to special hit with bolts. 1 handed range is pretty weak in the pvm area, so this would be a great addition, and would still leave room for a set that boosts 2H weapons 

darkroot currently does do that for bolt specs - but it is still not widely used because it is very expensive for a very unnoticeable upgrade from morrigans for 2h weapons as well as for boosting only bolt specs which aren't used outside of pvp. 

Edited by 9
clarification

+1

The only ones that would actually go for the gear in the Platinum Trader is the people who got too much money. The Cursed Twisted-Bow, Cursed Kodai, Cursed Elder Maul, they're basically super expensive cosmetics, the boosts are not worth the 50b it cost to upgrade. Sure if Foo were to want them, that would be a small price for him as he got 2.2T cash, but all in all, we need other ways to sink cash, or just boosting the items in the Platinum Trader like mentioned in the main post.