Rasta

Ticket Clearance Rate

Should Kong be able to do tickets? (Name changes, pin resets, etc)  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Should Kong be able to do tickets? (Name changes, pin resets, etc)

• Yes, he's very active and the majority of tickets take some time to process.
    • No, just having Ramzi handle the tickets is quick enough.

Just now, Iron Logic said:

I just stated that I trust Kong more than anyone, how can you say ex staff, I.E me, that I don't trust him.

The reason staff and ex-staff are all seemingly on the same wave-length is because we have discussed this in the staff chat 1000 times, none of us enjoy seeing people have to wait for these issues, we wish we could do it immediately ourselves. But that's not how it works.

Also on the topic of your name change, I looked at the help section and don't see a ticket for your name change. Did you post it in the wrong section or doing it via PMs? Those kind of things trip Ramzi up from time to time. 

You need to take a step back and use your words better man, that paragraph is like a mishmash of buzz words. 
You need to understand that I was staff for 1.5 years, I've had the discussion with players, staff, Ramzi and Ryan about getting staff to help with tickets. Those discussions have helped me understand everyone's point of view and when it is boiled down to the core reality, regardless of track record and dedication to the server, the general staff have nothing to lose when it comes to the server and that is a risk factor. 

Other than Ramzi and Ryan, I probably understand the role Kong plays as administrator more than anyone. For years I argued that we need to appoint an admin+ ranked staff member to act as an 'active' admin+ level staff member because Ryan, Ramzi and Nate aren't all that active in the community and that drove a wedge between the Co-owners and the community. I even said that we should just promote someone and give them no extra commands or responsibilities. I can't state it as fact, but I'm pretty sure this is what we are seeing.

However there are also other factors we can consider. 

Server support was never seen as a trail rank, meaning that you'd see a new season before you saw a new staff member. This system was horrid as staff were leaving the team faster than we were letting them in. So now it would seem that we have opened up the team a little bit as we have seen a rush of new server supports added, not the mention the speed at which Castle, Klein and James went from Server support to Moderator and Ralph went straight to moderator. This indicates a shift that server support is now a trial.
That means that logically the current structure moves up one. I.E 'Team Leader' moves from super moderator to Admin. 

It's likely that due to his new position, Kong will form a more professional relationship with Ramzi and in time we will likely see Kong being allowed to help with tickets and what not. 
But a post like this isn't going to speed that up or change it in anyway. 

Your superiority complex from being staff is getting this discussion nowhere. Let the rest of the community chime in man. Drop it. You've stated your arguments. You should be done here.

1 minute ago, Iron Logic said:

I just stated that I trust Kong more than anyone, how can you say ex staff, I.E me, that I don't trust him.

The reason staff and ex-staff are all seemingly on the same wave-length is because we have discussed this in the staff chat 1000 times, none of us enjoy seeing people have to wait for these issues, we wish we could do it immediately ourselves. But that's not how it works.

Also on the topic of your name change, I looked at the help section and don't see a ticket for your name change. Did you post it in the wrong section or doing it via PMs? Those kind of things trip Ramzi up from time to time. 

You need to take a step back and use your words better man, that paragraph is like a mishmash of buzz words. 
You need to understand that I was staff for 1.5 years, I've had the discussion with players, staff, Ramzi and Ryan about getting staff to help with tickets. Those discussions have helped me understand everyone's point of view and when it is boiled down to the core reality, regardless of track record and dedication to the server, the general staff have nothing to lose when it comes to the server and that is a risk factor. 

Other than Ramzi and Ryan, I probably understand the role Kong plays as administrator more than anyone. For years I argued that we need to appoint an admin+ ranked staff member to act as an 'active' admin+ level staff member because Ryan, Ramzi and Nate aren't all that active in the community and that drove a wedge between the Co-owners and the community. I even said that we should just promote someone and give them no extra commands or responsibilities. I can't state it as fact, but I'm pretty sure this is what we are seeing.

However there are also other factors we can consider. 

Server support was never seen as a trail rank, meaning that you'd see a new season before you saw a new staff member. This system was horrid as staff were leaving the team faster than we were letting them in. So now it would seem that we have opened up the team a little bit as we have seen a rush of new server supports added, not the mention the speed at which Castle, Klein and James went from Server support to Moderator and Ralph went straight to moderator. This indicates a shift that server support is now a trial.
That means that logically the current structure moves up one. I.E 'Team Leader' moves from super moderator to Admin. 

It's likely that due to his new position, Kong will form a more professional relationship with Ramzi and in time we will likely see Kong being allowed to help with tickets and what not. 
But a post like this isn't going to speed that up or change it in anyway. 

Sorry, it's hard for certain people to process. I'd rather not have an intellectual conversation over a thread so do you wanna pm me? Just say T or something and I'll respond.

1 minute ago, Rasta said:

I can see this was a pointless suggestion to add to the forums. We should let the players say a little bit first though before staff and ex staff mow down the idea like with a Mac 11.

Just to throw it in here. 

Staff are players as well. What they say, unless acting officially as staff, holds as much weight as what we say.

Ex-staff even more so, my opinion holds the same weight as yours. I mow almost everything down because of my experience with the staff team or game development in general. It's nothing personal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rasta said:

Your superiority complex from being staff is getting this discussion nowhere. Let the rest of the community chime in man. Drop it. You've stated your arguments. You should be done here.

Rasta not necessary. Wanna not?

Just now, Iron Logic said:

Just to throw it in here. 

Staff are players as well. What they say, unless acting officially as staff, holds as much weight as what we say.

Ex-staff even more so, my opinion holds the same weight as yours. I mow almost everything down because of my experience with the staff team or game development in general. It's nothing personal.

Yes, but if you'd like to go back an analyze the tone of your arguments, there's a lot simpler of a way to explain without glorifying yourself for trying so hard for so long to no avail. This server is growing and we need more trustworthy people to do the bigger roles and you guys are so afraid of the change.

2 minutes ago, Happysun51 said:

Rasta not necessary. Wanna not?

Plenty of "unnecessary"ness on this post.

Just now, Rasta said:

Plenty of "unnecessary"ness on this post.

Fair, but adding more isn't gonna solve the process. Go relax :P.

6 minutes ago, Rasta said:

Superiority complex? Dude I have no idea where this is coming from. 

Yes, I was staff, doesn't make me better than anyone else. But the one thing it does is give me the experience. I have had this exact conversation with people before, so why is it a superiority complex to bring that knowledge to the table? 

This is what forums are for, you say something then I say something. 

4 minutes ago, Rasta said:

Yes, but if you'd like to go back an analyze the tone of your arguments, there's a lot simpler of a way to explain without glorifying yourself for trying so hard for so long to no avail. This server is growing and we need more trustworthy people to do the bigger roles and you guys are so afraid of the change.

You've read my posts in the past, I don't do 'simple'. I explain stuff as much as possible to make sure to answer questions before they are formed. 

Look at it this way. Ramzi promoted Kong to Administrator. So if he wanted Kong to do tickets he would already be doing them.

I'm not afraid of change, I'm sure everyone who votes against this isn't afraid of change. 

7 minutes ago, Happysun51 said:

Sorry, it's hard for certain people to process. I'd rather not have an intellectual conversation over a thread so do you wanna pm me? Just say T or something and I'll respond.

I'll gladly have a more in-depth debate about this on discord if you like, or even forum PMs if you wanted. 

16 minutes ago, Iron Logic said:

Superiority complex? Dude I have no idea where this is coming from. 

Yes, I was staff, doesn't make me better than anyone else. But the one thing it does is give me the experience. I have had this exact conversation with people before, so why is it a superiority complex to bring that knowledge to the table? 

This is what forums are for, you say something then I say something. 

You've read my posts in the past, I don't do 'simple'. I explain stuff as much as possible to make sure to answer questions before they are formed. 

Look at it this way. Ramzi promoted Kong to Administrator. So if he wanted Kong to do tickets he would already be doing them.

I'm not afraid of change, I'm sure everyone who votes against this isn't afraid of change. 

I'll gladly have a more in-depth debate about this on discord if you like, or even forum PMs if you wanted. 

No worries I replied fam ;P.

First of all, I appreciate you making this thread.

Onto business.

I'd love to see Kong play a much larger role in RuneX than he already is, such as yourself said; doing tickets for the community, for the unfortunate people that have forgotten their pin (not everyone writes them down or uses them daily) or have taken a break for a while and forgotten their passwords, I can't agree more that this would speed up the process of how it's done so far, but you need to look at it from Ryan and Ramzi's position.
As Logic said, We are all "kids" that play their game, whether we're staff or whether we've played their games since 2017.
They don't know us personally, and we don't know them personally. It is what it is.

For Ryan to give Kong access to the VPS for the things he needs to do yes, it's easy to give him access no doubt in that.
But you've got to look at it from Ryan's perspective, his server coding and everything that is hidden behind closed doors to us, is worth thousands of dollars (If not more..) Would you give someone access to that, when you've never met?
You've got to look at it from all perspectives, I understand that this is just a poll to see what the public think, which is why I'm glad you made it.

But I'm just going to pick up on a couple things: 

1 hour ago, Rasta said:

Looks like staff and ex-staff is displaying some heavy distrust in Kong.

I believe I can talk for the staff team and say this, We all trust Kong and he trusts us. Wherever you've pulled this from, is unknown to me I am afraid.

1 hour ago, Rasta said:

I legitimately got a screenshot of Ramzi saying he was finishing all tickets yesterday, and mine did not get touched while other's did.

Ramzi does do the tickets, he gives some of them to Ryan if they are for certain things, such as Name changes or Donation transfers. So if your ticket was for one of these, this is probably why.

1 hour ago, Iron Logic said:

Let's be real here man, this isn't real runescape, the gap between ranks like server support, moderator and all the way up to admin don't really mean much. Perhaps as of late the server support rank is seen more as a trial, but the rest of them are generally the same with some extra commands sprinkled in. Kong is an admin because he is the leader of the staff team and it is healthy for the server to have an admin that is actually a part of the community, I'd love to see him do more behind the scenes, but he isn't here for that.

Also, having the skills and being trust worthy aren't the best qualifications. I have the technical skills to develop for Runex, but Ryan isn't just going to open the door for me, because Ryan, Ramzi and Nate are a close knit group that have built up extreme trust over the years. Kong is just some kid who plays their server. Give it time, hopefully he will be given more things to do in the future.

This right here, is what I believe.

The staff ranks aren't much different to each other, logic knows this as he is an ex-staff member, as you go up in ranks you just simply gain a different symbol and a couple more commands. That is it.
And even so, we don't like to say that we're higher rank or to pull rank on each other etc, because that's not what we do; we work together to get stuff done. (whether some people believe this or not..)

Kong is a huge factor in our staff team, hence why he was made an admin and I'm happy he is in that position.
I hope in time they give Kong the trust we give all give him, but until then we have continue to do things how they are now.

End of the day, it is neither our opinion or the communities opinion to get Ramzi and Ryan to give Kong more things to do, It is their own.

They'll do it when they feel they really need too.

If you can't accept anything I've said above, feel free to PM me privately on discord or on the forums and we can discuss it further.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rasta said:

If someone like me can use eclipse and do said things, Kong can do it. Eclipse is extremely easy to navigate, and all they'd need is to give him a tiny crash course in it, and it would be good to go. He even knows how to do it. He's not 'Admin' for just a different crown than James. And getting on the VPS is as simple as Ryan giving him access. It's not as hard as you're making it out to be.

Gonna say this once & lastly. A “tiny” crash course won’t cut it. No matter how easy it is for anyone to just login to the VPS and navigate eclipse. The CODING of name changes, donation transfers etc are harder than most character file items, no matter how small the task is one little fu*k up could shut down the server or fuck all the saved data up I’ve seen it happen & it’s happened to me. But how easy it is doesn’t matter as everyone is saying and I’ve said which you seem to avoid, Kong said this to me himself it’s to show he’s head of the team like a head moderator etc, in due time kong will be allowed to do tickets, doesn’t matter how long Kongs been with the team the trust needed to have access to the code is 5000 times bigger than that of being a staff member. 

And to be honest this just seems like a post because your ticket didn’t get answered. As others have said they aren’t sure if the SpawnPK admin does tickets let’s assume he does? He’s been on the team for a solid 3 years I’d say as he was server support back before I left with no break or leave he hasn’t resigned, he’s stayed on the team earning Ramzi and Ryan’s respect & trust to allow them to let him do tickets if he does them. 

This discussion just getting out of hand and turning into an argument 

Just wanted to clarify some possible misconceptions here.

For the recent name change tickets, there was an issue of miscommunication, and more of a mistake on my part rather than Ramzi's.

Here's a quoted reply that I've sent to all the recent name change requests:

Hello!

I apologize for the confusion, but name changes are currently on hold until the next content update.

This is because we have to create a safe system to transfer leaderboard contest data from the old name to the new name.

As compensation, you will receive a complimentary $5.00 bond after this wait period (once the name change is applied).

Thanks,
Ryan

After the leaderboard contest update, we faced unforeseen issues caused by conflicts from name changes. As a result, we are putting requests on hold until we finish a safe system to transfer the data. I apologize for anyone who was confused by this. For those of you who were not made aware when you paid for your name change, you will be compensated upon completion (as stated in the quote above).

As for the broader subject of all tickets being handled, full access to our databases is something we can't currently open up, even for administrators. Log checks & direct account management are things that only Ramzi and I can do at the moment. This is more so to do with technical & security reasons rather than trust.

On a lighter note, we've had plans for a while now to create tools/interfaces that will allow our high ranking staff to do log checks and help assist players with things such as account recoveries, scams, etc. It will grant safe partial access to the databases, and should be practical enough to not require any technical training for usage (unlike our current method). Unfortunately we don't have an ETA for this as it's a rather large project, but I wanted to clear the air with assurance that we still have plans (albeit long term) to improve our response times.

Thanks,
Ryan

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2