Kong

THE ERA OF QUESTS

Runex - The Best Economy RSPS!

What do you remember being one of the most nostalgic things about playing Runescape?
Was it being proud when everyone said "Nice" when you stated your woodcutting level at Draynor willows?
Or, was it making new friends while playing castlewars and sharing the joint hatred for that op prick sitting at the castle walls with Ahrims and ancients?
Whatever it may be, I can guarantee that questing was a big part of your bond to Runescape.

There are hundreds of quests of all difficulties, a quest suited for everyone. Some fun, some challenging and some are just out right mind-numbingly boring.

Now I ask, why don't we have quests here on Runex? No, not the original quests but, custom quests.
No, not half-arsed, unorganized missions that take a total of 30 minutes max to complete.
I'm talking about well thought-out, perfectly designed quests that bring challenge, a rush of  excitement and give you that awesome feeling of accomplishment.
 The possibilities are endless for custom quests.
This, my fellow Runexians, could be a new era for Runex.

This idea came to me a long time ago but, I never sat down and completely designed a custom quest down to a T.
I've had thoughts and ideas written across multiple documents tucked away in different folders, somewhere in the abyss I call my hard drive.
However, enough was enough. I compiled all the documents I had, scoured my brain for any more ideas, but it just wasn't heading the  direction I wanted.
So, I pulled in a team of experts.
First of all, I asked @James to join the discord I created to brainstorm with me, we made great progress.
Then, we both agreed that @Samuel would be able to bring a lot food for thought to the table, which he did.
Finally, Samuel made a fantastic suggestion to bring @Bowflexxx (a SpawnPk Supermod) into the discord, that's when everything gelled.
With all our thoughts and ideas compiled into one, we successfully came up with a quest worthy for Runex.

This is just the starting quest of the questing era I so wish to see on Runex.

Future quests will list the requirements needed to do so, like how they originally are in Runescape.
The main difference about the quest interface is that they will show the difficulty over the quest via a */5 skull system.

1 skull = Adept

Vengeance icon

5 Skulls = Insane

Vengeance iconVengeance iconVengeance iconVengeance iconVengeance icon

Image result for osrs quest symbol vector

-THIS WILL NOT  BE AN IN-DEPTH POST/GUIDE FOR THIS QUEST-
-THIS IS JUST TO SHOWCASE WHAT COULD BE IMPLEMENTED HERE ON RUNEX IN THE FUTURE-

D1keDY6.png
WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE

An action packed quest with everything a veteran quester loves.
This quest is also designed to bring some life to the wilderness, not for pkers, but to give it that increased element of danger while completing this quest.

Plot

As dark, ominous clouds loom over Gielinor, lightning scorches the planes of wilderness.
 Pure evil riddles these lands.
A war that left Gielinor in turmoil for centuries lays dormant, forever crawling it's way back to the surface. 
It is now on the brink of reoccurring.
The dark ages are soon to dawn upon us again..
Gielinor needs a warrior, fierce and brave. One whom is willing to stop at nothing to prevent the annihilation of his motherland.
He must venture into the core of the Corrupt isle, wrenching the heart from the beast that comminates his people so.
Are you the hero Gielinor needs?

DifficultyVengeance iconVengeance iconVengeance iconVengeance icon
Length: Very long

In this quest you will:

1. Kill a range of custom monsters all across the wilderness (with unique custom drops) to progress through the quest.
  2. Complete a range of tasks.
    Solve riddles.
  3. Unlock a whole new variety of skilling areas/supplies to collect during and after this quest.
    (Suggestion: "wilderness skilling area" is unlocked after completion)

4. A completely original wave survival minigame that has been integrated into...
    A COMPLETELY FRESH, UNIQUE AND CREATIVE BOSS FIGHT 
    This boss fight contains 100% un-seen pathing and new custom drops/gear upgrades.
    It is designed to be extremely challenging, for those who can showcase their ultimate pvming skills.
    Sotetseg.png?width=364&height=300
    (Black and white static represent cursed texture)

This quest is about 90% complete, most of the information has been left out in order to not spoil then quest IF implemented.
However, all suggestions, opinions and feedback are completely welcome.

This is the start of an era
 Something the community can work on together to create quests in the future.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

#BRINGQUESTSTORUNEX
#WTWTA

Credits: @Kong@James@Samuel@Bowflexxx@Brink

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Nate has always said he wanted to bring quests to Runex, I even made a few quest suggestions that fell on deaf ears. I think the idea of quests is great, but I am sceptical of this one.

Firstly, I have a whole range of questions.

1. Is the corrupt isle a wilderness area?
  2. Will the boss/demi boss fights be in the wilderness?
  3. Will they be instanced?
  4. Can you be attacked by players during these fights?
  5. Are the boss fights going to be mechanically difficult or just "More hp, more damage"?
  6. How much content is being locked behind this quest?

From what I see, players will be forced into the wilderness to fight bosses in order to complete this quest, and if these bosses are static or decently easy to find, I can think of a group of players who will simply lock the area down and kill anyone who wants to do the quest. Having a wilderness focused quest also severely impacts ultimate and hardcore ironmen. I also don't want to see these bosses require players to being expensive gear in to the wilderness.

4 hours ago, Kong said:

This boss fight contains 100% un-seen pathing

You mean correct pathing? ayoooo

End of the day, keeping the meat of the quest a secret as to not spoil it is alright, but you do need to give us a little more than what you currently have before we can make decent suggestions for it. Keep in mind, 98% of players don't care for quest stories or dialog, they just want to know what they have to do and what they get out of it. 

Like I said above, most of the information has been left out as it takes away excitement of exploring a new quest from scratch. However, I will answer your questions.

49 minutes ago, Iron Logic said:
  • Is the corrupt isle a wilderness area?
  • Will the boss/demi boss fights be in the wilderness?
  • Will they be instanced?
  • Can you be attacked by players during these fights?

The corrupt isle will be instanced, therefore taking it out of wilderness, making it safe for players while fighting the boss.

50 minutes ago, Iron Logic said:

Are the boss fights going to be mechanically difficult or just "More hp, more damage"?

Both.

51 minutes ago, Iron Logic said:

How much content is being locked behind this quest?

We have designed some cool new/alternative skulking methods in this quest, some with are only used for this quest. As said above, it will also unlock skilling areas. 

54 minutes ago, Iron Logic said:

impacts ultimate and hardcore ironmen

Like the argument for most things against this, they chose that gamemode knowing full well that wilderness exists and there will always be potential wilderness content releases. They just have to live with their choices.

56 minutes ago, Iron Logic said:

98% of players don't care for quest stories or dialog,

I disagree tbh. A lot of people enjoy questing.

4 minutes ago, Kong said:

Like I said above, most of the information has been left out as it takes away excitement of exploring a new quest from scratch. However, I will answer your questions.

The corrupt isle will be instanced, therefore taking it out of wilderness, making it safe for players while fighting the boss.

Both.

We have designed some cool new/alternative skulking methods in this quest, some with are only used for this quest. As said above, it will also unlock skilling areas. 

Like the argument for most things against this, they chose that gamemode knowing full well that wilderness exists and there will always be potential wilderness content releases. They just have to live with their choices.

I disagree tbh. A lot of people enjoy questing.

You missed the more important question, can you be pked during the boss fights? Especially the final boss fight.

You also need to design content with account restrictions in mind, you can't just keep hiding behind the 'you choose the game mode' crap. What if you added a quest requirement to die? or to trade a player? You wouldn't get away with 'you choose the game mode'. 

11 minutes ago, Kong said:

A lot of people enjoy questing.

I disagree, in OSRS and RS3 you see a huge use of quick guides and in the general video game industry a lot of players will often skip dialog and cutscenes to get back to the game.
In terms of Runex, this will be the first quest, players have had 2 years to play the game and there has been 0 world building. I'm not sure if people will be invested in whatever story is created. 
All I'm saying is that it would be beneficial to release more information about the quest. I'm not talking a full breakdown of everything players will need to do and the story you wish to build, but the suggestion you've made so far is extremely open ended, so players may +1 the idea in their head and the staff team wants to take it in a different direction.

25 minutes ago, Iron Logic said:

You missed the more important question, can you be pked during the boss fights? Especially the final boss fight.

No I didn’t? I said it was safe for players while fighting the boss because corrupt isle is instanced.

25 minutes ago, Iron Logic said:

What if you added a quest requirement to die? or to trade a player?

That’s quite a silly comparison tbh. 

This quest doesn’t require you to do anything of the impossible, like trading. Nor does it make you sacrifice your rank. 

So, with the way you see things, there is never allowed to be any wildy content ever again because it’s unfair on hcim? 

I may have a slightly bias opinion as I helped with the design however I think this is another element that will push Runex further into its unique stage which is already part of the reason it is so successful. I also believe it will entice a different type of player to come and try out Runex.

Without giving to much away it will cater for a variety of different levels and all player modes which is a winner all round.

I see potential for greatness here.

+1

- Samuel

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kong said:

No I didn’t? I said it was safe for players while fighting the boss because corrupt isle is instanced.

Sorry, missed that part. You are correct.

3 minutes ago, Kong said:

That’s quite a silly comparison tbh. 

This quest doesn’t require you to do anything of the impossible, like trading. Nor does it make you sacrifice your rank. 

So, with the way you see things, there is never allowed to be any wildy content ever again because it’s unfair on hcim? 

What I'm saying is that there is not enough information about the particulars of the wilderness parts of the quest. 
If we assume that players need to hunt down 3 demi bosses in the wilderness to gather a particular drop in order to progress the quest, are these areas multi? Are these monsters always in the same spot etc, those kind of things are quite unfair to the other modes because a pker or clan can just sit there forever and kill them. 
Even in RS3, that has quests inside of the wilderness, instance the main quest area and players only need to worry about getting to and from the instance.

If I was designing this, assuming the hunt down 3 demi bosses scenario, I would have the OSRS hot/cold globe that players run around the wilderness and use to find/spawn the demi bosses. These spawns could be anywhere in the overground wilderness and could be reset by destroying the hot/cold globe, which gives players a slightly safer option of only searching 1-20/30 wilderness for spawns and if there are none they just drop and get a new globe. 

But at the end of the day, I don't care how difficult the quest is, how predictable the demi boss spawns are or how under/overpowered the rewards are. I'm maxed and only an ironman, I'll get it done regardless. I just want it to not have an unreasonable level of risk or predictability so that everyone can enjoy it. 

15 minutes ago, Iron Logic said:

3 demi bosses 

There is 1 demi boss, which does have a location object . Before that, there are 3 areas of monsters which drop the requirements to make the location object. 

However, I suppose you’re right. When I finish work, I will add as much detail as I can without compromising the secrecy of the quest.

Just now, Kong said:

There is 1 demi boss, which does have a location object . Before that, there are 3 areas of monsters which drop the requirements to make the location object. 

However, I suppose you’re right. When I finish work, I will add as much detail as I can without compromising the secrecy of the quest.

I appreciate it man, I think you kinda see now that we didn't really have any idea of how it would work :P 

Make one of those areas below level 20 wilderness, with less spawns and maybe more health etc, and I'll give you the ol + 1

3 minutes ago, Iron Logic said:

I appreciate it man, I think you kinda see now that we didn't really have any idea of how it would work :P 

Make one of those areas below level 20 wilderness, with less spawns and maybe more health etc, and I'll give you the ol + 1

I knew from the beginning that there wasn’t much info to go off. I mainly just wanted to know what the community’s thoughts on quests were.

I like it questing was always one of my favorite things to do I think this would make a fun addition to the game.

Edited by Zane

this is actually really cool tbh hopefully we can implement them into it. would also give meaning to adding a custom quest cape to runex 

id +1 the idea of implementing new quests and more content I am always down for that. One thing I would want to be cautious of is making all this new questing content in the wilderness. we have a lot of wild content already but it is definitely not used as much as non wilderness content. Simply put, id rather use my end game gear for what I am doing and not risk my bank running around pvp areas. Id love to see quests that are also not requiring any time in the wilderness as I have much more fun outside of that area. I'm sure there is a large community who also would like to avoid wilderness if it isn't necessary. 

Me personally, I'm not a massive fan of questing. But people enjoy them and I'd be nice to see some quests implemented. Like 9 mentioned above though there is already quite a lot of wildy content. And I believe the only people who would be at risk of getting pked is ppl who are not in the inner circle of runex. For a eco server I'd prefer to see more non-wildy quests first before-hand. The wildy already Is only dangerous to those who are not well known, and this is just purely based on the playerbase of this server. I'd +1 for questing, but wildy, i'm not too certain.

Nothing wrong with some quests taking you into the wilderness.

Even Rs3 and osrs have quests, mini quests and minigames inside of the wilderness, doesn't stop people from doing them and having fun.

1 hour ago, Iron Logic said:

Nothing wrong with some quests taking you into the wilderness.

Even Rs3 and osrs have quests, mini quests and minigames inside of the wilderness, doesn't stop people from doing them and having fun.

Agreed, in my opinion I don't think the first priority for an eco server should be to add the first quest as a wildy quest.  I would think i'd be nice to maybe have some down the line when the game has a few quests already implemented.

We also have 0 infrastructure outside of edgeville to base a quest on. Half the interactable objects don't even work 

Wlderness is much more complete and honestly has the best potential for rewards.

Yes, then there should be more of an infrastructure put in place. Maybe then they should work on the pvm side rather than adding in more wildy related content. This might aswell then be a wildy server. Wilderness should be an option but if this is an eco-server there should be a focus on building an environment outside the wildy and with the wildy.

I find it abit interesting how this server has so much solely based on the wildy when there's very few pkers in the game. On top of that if there are pkers the only people they'll be attacking is newbies. Maybe this issue is deep rooted and more than just adding quests. 

This is just my opinion and my 2 cents from playing the game. 

@Kong

As somebody who has achieved Quest cape on RS with 85Cb on multiple accounts, aswell as achieving quest cape in less than a month after creating my account, i speak on behalf of the Questers. 

Quest dialogue is actually important, there are people out there, like me, who actually enjoy the content instead of just skipping and trying to get to the reward asap.

Runex is probably the server with most content out there, it's pretty much perfection. 

It just lacks Quests. If you manage to implement Quests and advertise it, i'm certain it would attract a whole new playerbase.

To put it into perspective, a few weeks ago i had downloaded over 30 servers just to see if any of them had alot of quests that were fun and rewarding.

There are servers with quests but its poorly coded and it gives off the "Meh" Vibe.

I support this idea with all my heart and i geniunely hope this gets added.

Quests could have some whole new uses to it, for example completing a certain quest would give you the ability to instantly loot an item into the looting bag without having to put the item in inventory first.