Iron Logic

Boxes, chests and keys

Table Revamp  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the rate of hitting the 'rare' table on a crystal key?

• 1 in 5
    • 1 in 10
    • 1 in 20
    • 1 in 50
    • Higher than 1 in 50. Let us know below.
  2. 2. What should be the rate of hitting the rare table on a prize box? [Ultimates and Chests would have increased rates]

• 1 in 5
    • 1 in 10
    • 1 in 15
    • 1 in 20
    • Higher than 1 in 20. Let us know below.
  3. 3. Select any and all items you believe should be on the crystal key or prize box tables

• Barrows Equipment [Not as a set]
    • Draconic Visage [Not as a premade shield]
    • Wyvern Visage [Not as a premade shield]
    • Uncut Onyx
    • Master Task Bottle
    • Runecoin bag [2500]
    • Ballista parts [Not as a premade ballista]
    • Sacred Token
    • Grand Crest Parts
    • Luck Tokens
    • Others, Let us know below.

A long time ago, Prize boxes, chests and crystal keys were very overpowered to the point where these things were more reliable than doing the actual boss to get a certain item. This was especially bad for ironmen, as it would take on average a few thousand lizardman shaman kills for a dragon warhammer, but you would see 1-5 random ironmen pulling them from a prize box every day.

So we had them nerfed, myself and a few other staff members badgered Ryan constantly about changing them and he eventually gave in and nerfed them. Unfortunately, the nerf was an extreme over-correction and makes rare items from prize boxes and crystal keys ridiculously rare. 

I myself saved close to 1000 crystal key rolls [a few 100 of them being as epic c keys] for the last cycled event system. How many rare rewards did I get? 1, close to 1000 rolls on the crystal chest and I got 1 bloody 'rare' reward. For prize boxes, I've almost forgotten that we even have rare rewards from them.

I suggest that we increase the rates of hitting the rare reward table from all of the sources as well as adding a little more variety of rare rewards and removing some of the less desirable 'rares'.
Boxes and keys should never replace the boss as the primary source of an item, however the previous nerf was too far for our economy and should be buffed slightly.

Edited by Iron Logic

Some of the items seem a bit op to me, especially the 2500 runecoins. This would depend on how rare the 2500 runecoin drop would be. I could agree with something like 500 runecoins, however even this would need to be pretty rare imo.

5 minutes ago, Castleman said:

Some of the items seem a bit op to me, especially the 2500 runecoins. This would depend on how rare the 2500 runecoin drop would be. I could agree with something like 500 runecoins, however even this would need to be pretty rare imo.

This is true.

However I think we should have all of the runecoin bags, 500/1000/2500, in the loot table at a variety of rarities. Especially nowadays with the over reliance on the mage of wisdom and other runecoin related expenses.

Overall i could see some of these possibly, I like the idea for adding luck tokens to the chest. I could even see adding some barrows pieces, but just increasing rates I highly disagree with. The chest is pretty balanced as is, and when you hit that special item it feels earned (usually). Just because you and I are a bit unlucky doesn't mean that we should go making it ez mode. I watched the other day a level 3 ironman pulled a dragonfire sheild. Its all chance overall so i disagree with changing the rates. Im currently 512 regular crystal keys dry, not even counting my epic keys dry. On my ultimate it still took me almost 70 keys to get dragon gauntlets.

1 minute ago, Solo830 said:

Overall i could see some of these possibly, I like the idea for adding luck tokens to the chest. I could even see adding some barrows pieces, but just increasing rates I highly disagree with. The chest is pretty balanced as is, and when you hit that special item it feels earned (usually). Just because you and I are a bit unlucky doesn't mean that we should go making it ez mode. I watched the other day a level 3 ironman pulled a dragonfire sheild. Its all chance overall so i disagree with changing the rates. Im currently 512 regular crystal keys dry, not even counting my epic keys dry. On my ultimate it still took me almost 70 keys to get dragon gauntlets.

I don't really understand what you are saying here.

Going 100s of crystal keys dry doesn't make anything feel 'earned' because none of the items you can obtain are worth what you have to put in to it. The crystal chest is not even close to being balanced, look at the broadcast bot on the discord, it's often multiple hours between rare loots and most veteran players just hoard keys for the events that require them so that they can spam easy event currency or merch the keys. 

I'm not sure why you are against increasing the rare table rate. 

15 minutes ago, Iron Logic said:

I don't really understand what you are saying here.

Going 100s of crystal keys dry doesn't make anything feel 'earned' because none of the items you can obtain are worth what you have to put in to it. The crystal chest is not even close to being balanced, look at the broadcast bot on the discord, it's often multiple hours between rare loots and most veteran players just hoard keys for the events that require them so that they can spam easy event currency or merch the keys. 

I'm not sure why you are against increasing the rare table rate. 

Im saying in the general-ist sense that i think its fine as is. I dont want everything to be a money mine of infinite lootations. With some of the stuff your suggesting as an option makes crystal keys a money farm. When i get something from the key that i want it feels rewarding. Thats one of the things i enjoy is at the end of the day feeling like i earned what i got. If i open 10 chests and get ..a gcp 2, ahrims robetop, and sacred tokens id question why i would even boss ever. Its easier to get keys than it would be to farm k'ril for a chance at a piece. I might have a little bias here because i feel like everyone just wants the game to be easier, where i do want some challenge, i want goals to strive for. If everything is going to be handed to me, its honestly an intrest killer. That's the same reason i dont actually play any of my maxed normal characters. There's nothing to keep me wanting to play them. No real reward at the end of the day.

Look at Crystal keys in the overall scheme, you can get a ton of them with very little issue and they give decent skilling rewards and occasionally a good item. That sounds perfectly fine for a simple to obtain item.

1 hour ago, Solo830 said:

Im saying in the general-ist sense that i think its fine as is. I dont want everything to be a money mine of infinite lootations. With some of the stuff your suggesting as an option makes crystal keys a money farm. When i get something from the key that i want it feels rewarding. Thats one of the things i enjoy is at the end of the day feeling like i earned what i got. If i open 10 chests and get ..a gcp 2, ahrims robetop, and sacred tokens id question why i would even boss ever. Its easier to get keys than it would be to farm k'ril for a chance at a piece. I might have a little bias here because i feel like everyone just wants the game to be easier, where i do want some challenge, i want goals to strive for. If everything is going to be handed to me, its honestly an intrest killer. That's the same reason i dont actually play any of my maxed normal characters. There's nothing to keep me wanting to play them. No real reward at the end of the day.

Look at Crystal keys in the overall scheme, you can get a ton of them with very little issue and they give decent skilling rewards and occasionally a good item. That sounds perfectly fine for a simple to obtain item.

You know this was a suggestion about both crystal keys and prize boxes. 

I'm not saying I want 10 keys to give me a boat load of items. I just don't want 1000 c keys to give jack shit. Currently there are no good items to get from a crystal key unless you are an early game ironman. Non ironmen accounts make far more money simply selling the keys. I don't open 100 crystal keys and get an archers ring and think oh my god so happy, I think what was the god damn point, I could have drop traded those keys for a bond and killed 50 dag kings for that ring. 

There needs to be a balance between the sources so that crystal keys and prize boxes aren't the primary source of an item but aren't as worthless to do as they are now.

Crystal keys are also quite bad for supplies as opposed to equally farmable sources unless you are very early game. 

There's nothing to keep me wanting to play them. No real reward at the end of the day.

There is also nothing enticing players to farm/use crystal keys and prize boxes.

I might have a little bias here because i feel like everyone just wants the game to be easier, where i do want some challenge, i want goals to strive for.

How does increasing the rate of getting a rare from crystal chest and prize boxes and adding new items to their reward tables ruin that you for?
Also if this is truly your stance, I assume you haven't done the Easter event at all considering how its GP per hour and rewards are overpowered and take away from the game, right?