Iron Logic

Discussion on over-saturation

Over-Saturation  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think there is an over-saturation of skilling supplies on RuneX?

2. 2. Do you think there is an over-saturation of gold on RuneX?

3. 3. Do you think the current gold and supply sinks are adequate?

The great Nate has spoken and has said he wants more discussions to be had about improving the server. So today I bring forward probably the most difficult to solve but most damaging thing on RuneX. The blatant over-saturation of items and gold.

I think the easiest way to present this issue would be to show a variety of items on my ironman, specifically skilling supplies.

K7lflm2.png

As you can see I have a absolute metric tonne of supplies.
200m crafting easily banked
75m herblore
Close to 200m summoning
The list goes on. 

My point is that I have never actively 'farmed' for any of these supplies with the exception of the uncut gems. Supplies on this server just fall from the heavens and come in to the game incredibly faster than they go out of it. 

Having NPCs and bosses drop supplies is a great way of adding in that constant money making rather than just rare drops or nothing, but on RuneX there are just way too many NPCs that drop supplies in such high quantities. 
Also, it seems common for new NPCs to have a 100% chance at dropping cash, which over time adds up to be a substantial amount of unnecessary gold pumped in to the economy. 

So here is the discussion:

How do we go about fixing the over-saturation of gold and supplies and is it an issue in your eyes? 

I think the current gold sinks are quite good as money sinks, but they are terrible for irons...

Here's my suggestion that would help with these problems: Something like "well of goodwill", that would increase exp by like 20% (ofc should be stackable with tokens...) or like 3% drop rate increase serverwide after a certain amount is donated.

This could also be helpful with skilling supplies sinking: make it possible to donate them to the "well of goodwill", but increase their value of donation by 10x-50x of their regular high alch or sellback value. 

Here's another one:

Decreasing the amount of supplies bosses or npcs drop wouldn't be good, cause going dry for 1000+ bosses kills as prime, I can atleast say i got some useful skilling supplies.

However, you get a lot of skilling supplies from crystal chests, fyir chests, boxes... So maybe it should be removed and instead increase the chance of getting items (or the number of items) with rc value. 

Edited by sapnas

So i just want to add my bit to this because i agree, yet disagree. So i guess ill segment this to make it a bit easier to read.

1. Do you think there is an over-saturation of skilling supplies on RuneX?

There is indeed alot of ways to get drops and skilling supplies. In my opinion i feel that maybe reducing some of these drops or easy farms received quantity. A nature imp for example gives 50-150, or 25-75 herbs per catch. Any of us who have actually actively hunted imps knows their not all that rare and we catch them while looking for the dragon/ninja implings that have actually needed or desired loots. Earths give a ton of ores Gourmet a ton of raw food and we could just keep going. If im correct awhile back in osrs they reduced item drops off zulrah because in their studies it was more efficent to not do the intended skill to get the corresponding items. Looking at all the imp drop tables...Im fairly confident i could ignore a majority of the gathering skills purely off those materials. Its basicly how I just got 99 crafting and construction on my Hard UIM. I don't think even reducing these numbers would be a quick fix but over time i think theres a possibility if highly reduced that we would actually catch back up and use a majority of the skilling items thus benefiting supply and demand. Even on my prime i definitely feel that i have alot of materials, but im also pretty sure im going to use a vast majority of what ive built up in my time on them just trying to finish maxing.

5b1a51c963.png

2. Do you think there is an over-saturation of gold on RuneX?

Personally i do not feel that there is, theres usually a small group that hold a majority of the eco, be it items or flat cash. If there was an over-saturation issue i feel it would be more visible in a majority of the population hitting these "end game" amounts of money. In certain time frames you will see the general populations wealth increase. Events like the Easter and Halloween events dont really add money to the game, it just rotates it off of the wealth holders that dont want to or would rather not put forward the amount of time required to grind the full event. This i feel is good because yes the money is added back into the eco, rather than idle sitting on a character its being used to upgrade peoples gear that put the time in to grind the event. Alot of the items that are good dont cost an extreme amount of money which having excessive amounts of gold would just inflate every item. The "BIS" items do cost a ton, but they have a decently hard/tedious/grindy acquisition to justify why their so good, and why their equally as expensive.

419b5ecd21.png

3. Do you think the current gold and supply sinks are adequate?

No, in all honestly their targeting only the eco holding group of the economy. There are a bunch of miniscule money sinks that are kind of rough for characters that can't actively buy or sell items to have the gold to throw away. These giant money sinks are good for removing alot of money in one go, but im sure if we looked up the total amount of times this was done, compaired to lets say money paid to repair barrows items. I'm 95% sure that the barrows item repair stomps the money removed by the few t-bows corrupted or whatever else is in the platinum shop for excessive amounts of money. Some of the money sinks like instanced bosses with the portals in poh i feel are overall balanced, they can pay for themselves overtime and arent insanely ridiculous to get for the general playerbase. I guess overall the way im trying to steer this subsection of my post is maybe give us more repeatable middle to early-mid game sinks. Maybe some optional Qol's with a semi decent chunk of change required. Maybe add kind of like a mage of wisdom for skilling supplies which maybe gives some targetable xp rewards to push people like logic to dump their hoards of supplies.

2fd1c64a8e.png

Hopefully i at-least formed a some what reasonable statement on these. Looking forward to see what others see as good/bad on these topics. Ahead of time, my apologies im rather tired at the time of writing this and im not really proofreading this thing tonight. Ill probably edit this tommorow after i get some real sleep and correct blatant errors ive more than likely made.

I agree alot with over saturation of gold, but there are alot of money sinks in the game right now which makes this topic (of the gold) a problem which is getting fixed right now. As for the skilling saturation, I find it not a big issue, because you can grind yourself towards 200m EXP to make yourself look great on the highscores (if you care abou that).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pr ime said:

I agree alot with over saturation of gold, but there are alot of money sinks in the game right now which makes this topic (of the gold) a problem which is getting fixed right now. As for the skilling saturation, I find it not a big issue, because you can grind yourself towards 200m EXP to make yourself look great on the highscores (if you care abou that).

Adding in sinks is 1 side of the coin, you also have to remove sources of gold as well. It seems most NPCs drop coins 100% of the time and a lot of them do in substantial quantities. There's no need for any/all of those monsters to drop coins.

6 hours ago, Solo830 said:

Personally i do not feel that there is, theres usually a small group that hold a majority of the eco, be it items or flat cash. If there was an over-saturation issue i feel it would be more visible in a majority of the population hitting these "end game" amounts of money.

All you really need to do is look at the prices of items and the amount of pure gold ironmen can obtain, I've had about 25b cash go through my ironman. 

7 hours ago, sapnas said:

Decreasing the amount of supplies bosses or npcs drop wouldn't be good

Shamans are a bad example because the noted ores drops are quite small, the real issue is the non boss npcs that drop a tonne of stuff such as dark beasts. 

One of the biggest ways you can observe the over saturation of skilling supplies is just by looking at how people get them.

• Do you smith rune bars? No
  • Do you cook raw food? No
  • Do you fish raw food? No
  • Do you cut trees? No
  • Do you make potions? No
  • Do you farm seeds? No
  • Do you mine ores? No

You would do these to train, but if you are just after the supplies, you just kill something for them or simply buy them cheap off other players because so much is coming in to the game.

Edited by Iron Logic

7 minutes ago, Iron Logic said:

Adding in sinks is 1 side of the coin, you also have to remove sources of gold as well. It seems most NPCs drop coins 100% of the time and a lot of them do in substantial quantities. There's no need for any/all of those monsters to drop coins.

I agree with that, but alot of money comes in to the game via dalies aswell. Otherwise we can half or even 3/4 the cash drops from most npc’s to make it more balanced

I agree that gold is an issue, there is alot of it coming into the game everyday; Another moneysink like a "Well-of-Goodwill" that offers timed global benefits once a certain threshold of coins has been deposited, is an idea that has been proposed several times. I believe that could possibly address the over saturation of gold, at least somewhat.

As for supplies, It is possible that some NPC's drop too much of a certain quantity of items at once; I do agree with that. However, these massive skilling supply tabs are usually something that are accumulated over very long period's of time. Players who chose to be anything above "Hard' Difficulty will ultimately need major amounts of supplies to reach higher levels. Although if the amounts of supplies were dramatically decreased the current active player-base would not be capable of sustaining new players who chose higher difficulty gamemode's. Most of the longtime players are a major source of these supplies which are sold off to multiple players very quickly. 

For example, if the server had a rush of 10 new active players, all who choose a difficulty of High+, they could eat through my entire skilling tab in a few days, if not sooner.

https://imgur.com/lDIFm2N

https://imgur.com/ak7yecr

Opinion on over-saturation of gold:

Keep the amount of gold coming into the server the same (so Irons still have chances to get stuff like grand max capes, and stuff with the plat tokens shop)

Simply add more money sinks that aren't for bis gear (like cursed tbow and stuff, irons get fucked with that, 50b takes forever to get. I would be surprised if any iron has actually gotten 50b total (not at once cuz they spend it on stuff/xfer it off)

I’d insert my current skilling tab to add to this discussion but that’s staying secret till I’ve maxed. You can refer to my pictures from a while ago here. 

most players with high amount of skilling supplies have done this over a long time of playing or PvM. @Iron Logic I know you’ve done 5-10k or so of lava giants which amassed quite a bit of supplies. A lot of supplies are brought ingame from playing, some from imps, prize boxes etc but personally gold is the most scarce at times.