Iron Logic

Mysterious Emblems

I think we should add some cool risk vs reward content to.. the wilderness! 

I'd like to see some form of upgradable item that is dropped by NPCs in the wilderness and is upgraded by killing NPCs in the wilderness with the prior tier in your inventory. 

What is the item? 
The mysterious emblem will have 10 tiers [1-10]. Once tier 10 it can be traded in for some amount of blood money, the amount of which would be dependant on the time/effort required to get a tier 10 emblem. 

How do you get one?
If you do not currently have a mysterious emblem in your inventory, all NPCs in the wilderness will have a chance at dropping one, this would be dependant on the NPCs combat level and possibly ease of killing [ie barragable NPCs] for balancing sake. 

How do you upgrade it?
Once you have obtained a tier 1 emblem, you keep it in your inventory and repeat the process of killing wilderness NPCs. Instead of getting a new tier 1 emblem for hitting the drop table, your emblem will be upgraded.
Repeat the process for tiers 2-10.

What happens if I die?
Emblems will be auto lost on death.
If you die to an NPC, the emblem will degrade to dust.
If you die to a player, they will get your emblem, however it will be 1 tier lower. I.E if they kill you with a tier 7 emblem in your inventory, they will get a tier 6 one as a drop. 

What do you do with it once it is tier 10?
Once you obtain a tier 10 emblem you will need to take it to the cursed caverns and trade it in for blood money [amount TBA]. 

Why should we add this?
It's just a nice little addition to spice up the wilderness and give players a cool mechanic to use for rewards as well as giving pkers another possible reward for pking. 

• Like 2

This is not a bad idea, I like how you could trade it in for blood money, And it would make the wildy a lot more active

I like the idea, Or how about even if you get a player kill it would upgrade as well. Almost like bounty hunter in osrs, But you could also upgrade with hitting the drop table on a npc. 

2 minutes ago, who skills said:

I like the idea, Or how about even if you get a player kill it would upgrade as well. Almost like bounty hunter in osrs, But you could also upgrade with hitting the drop table on a npc. 

I'd support it having a chance to upgrade upon player kill at an uncommon to rare rate. But if it was too common it would take away from the NPC grinding aspect of it. 

42 minutes ago, Iron Logic said:

I'd support it having a chance to upgrade upon player kill at an uncommon to rare rate. But if it was too common it would take away from the NPC grinding aspect of it. 

That is very true, Could be like on the npc table.

+1 to emblems just not this way imo, emblems should be mainly upgraded and obtained from pvp imo, not necessarily 100% upgrade rate on kill cause we don't have a BH targeting system but like 1 in 20 to drop from a player kill, and a 1 in 4 to upgrade so on average you'd need 60 or so kills to get a tier 10, just like in osrs boss monsters should have an uncommon rare-ish chance to drop (only happens in BH worlds on osrs but would make sense to have multiple sources), but they shouldn't be upgradeable from bossing.

I think the trade in for emblems giving blood money is not the best idea as there are already countless sources of blood money coming in to the game my suggestion is to add a bounty hunter shop and move certain items from other stores to there for instance, hunters honour / rogues revenge, infinity ornament sets, MSB i etc. This would help in balancing as an MSB I is far too powerful for how cheap it is in my opinion. Have the drops from all wildy bosses be somewhere along the 1 in 50 to 1 in 75 drop range so it's viable to grind, and still a nice reward passively, and only allow the first tier to be tradeable. All of them lost on death (Same death mechanics you suggested)

Edited by Batty

13 hours ago, Batty said:

+1 to emblems just not this way imo, emblems should be mainly upgraded and obtained from pvp imo, not necessarily 100% upgrade rate on kill cause we don't have a BH targeting system but like 1 in 20 to drop from a player kill, and a 1 in 4 to upgrade so on average you'd need 60 or so kills to get a tier 10, just like in osrs boss monsters should have an uncommon rare-ish chance to drop (only happens in BH worlds on osrs but would make sense to have multiple sources), but they shouldn't be upgradeable from bossing.

I think the trade in for emblems giving blood money is not the best idea as there are already countless sources of blood money coming in to the game my suggestion is to add a bounty hunter shop and move certain items from other stores to there for instance, hunters honour / rogues revenge, infinity ornament sets, MSB i etc. This would help in balancing as an MSB I is far too powerful for how cheap it is in my opinion. Have the drops from all wildy bosses be somewhere along the 1 in 50 to 1 in 75 drop range so it's viable to grind, and still a nice reward passively, and only allow the first tier to be tradeable. All of them lost on death (Same death mechanics you suggested)

On another server I'd agree.

But RuneX is an eco server with an oddly small section of pkers and adding mysterious emblems in the way you describe, just like osrs, would be a huge waste of potential seeing as such a small amount of players would use it. 

However, I totally agree with having a shop for rewards rather than blood money as it again increases the potential for the content. 

I'd like to see a balance between pvm and pvp. Where pvmers can just boss or slay in the wilderness to gain and upgrade emblems while pkers can kill other players for their emblems and have a chance to level up emblems by pking. Only a chance since it would be so easily farmable and hardish to catch. 

8 hours ago, Iron Logic said:

On another server I'd agree.

But RuneX is an eco server with an oddly small section of pkers and adding mysterious emblems in the way you describe, just like osrs, would be a huge waste of potential seeing as such a small amount of players would use it. 

However, I totally agree with having a shop for rewards rather than blood money as it again increases the potential for the content. 

I'd like to see a balance between pvm and pvp. Where pvmers can just boss or slay in the wilderness to gain and upgrade emblems while pkers can kill other players for their emblems and have a chance to level up emblems by pking. Only a chance since it would be so easily farmable and hardish to catch. 

I see your point and while it might be nice to have a potential for them to be upgraded in a pvm manner, I think they should mainly be upgraded / obtained through pking as due to the way UntradeableX is currently where a large portion of the good wilderness gear is untradeable, (Samurai - recently added break value, chaotic imbued, hunter's honour, etc) even from killing people in the higher tier gear you actually get very little this can be shown from my recent kill on "Husk" who was in a very high tier gear setup and all I received was a Seer's Ring I, ahrims and a karils top. If they can be upgraded through pvm i'd like to see it be fairly rare perhaps 1 in 200 from the wilderness bosses (due to how easy they are to kill), these should also only be able to obtained from boss monster in my opinion as things like lava giants, revs, lava demons, frost dragons, lava dragons are already rewarding to kill. 

Just now, Batty said:

I see your point and while it might be nice to have a potential for them to be upgraded in a pvm manner, I think they should mainly be upgraded / obtained through pking as due to the way UntradeableX is currently where a large portion of the good wilderness gear is untradeable, (Samurai - recently added break value, chaotic imbued, hunter's honour, etc) even from killing people in the higher tier gear you actually get very little this can be shown from my recent kill on "Husk" who was in a very high tier gear setup and all I received was a Seer's Ring I, ahrims and a karils top. If they can be upgraded through pvm i'd like to see it be fairly rare perhaps 1 in 200 from the wilderness bosses (due to how easy they are to kill), these should also only be able to obtained from boss monster in my opinion as things like lava giants, revs, lava demons, frost dragons, lava dragons are already rewarding to kill. 

Untradables are an issue in their own right for both pvmers and pkers. Which I think needs to be balanced and more rewards added for pking. 
I just don't think it is balancable with our current system to upgrade emblems primarily through pvp as it would be easily farmable. Pvm is a lot easier because you already have all the variables and can adjust rates accordingly, but with pvp what is the average pks an hour? Sometimes its 0, other times its 20.

I think if we make it pvm focused and allow the emblems to be gain and upgraded from all NPCs in the wilderness it still benefits pkers as players are likely to risk emblems and we could also adjust the system to make pking someone who has an emblem automatically upgrade your own. 

3 minutes ago, Iron Logic said:

Untradables are an issue in their own right for both pvmers and pkers. Which I think needs to be balanced and more rewards added for pking. 
I just don't think it is balancable with our current system to upgrade emblems primarily through pvp as it would be easily farmable. Pvm is a lot easier because you already have all the variables and can adjust rates accordingly, but with pvp what is the average pks an hour? Sometimes its 0, other times its 20.

I think if we make it pvm focused and allow the emblems to be gain and upgraded from all NPCs in the wilderness it still benefits pkers as players are likely to risk emblems and we could also adjust the system to make pking someone who has an emblem automatically upgrade your own. 

Maybe a balance betwen the 2, like a 1 in 50-100 drop rate from all 4 of the wilderness bosses, and a 1 in 20 from players for the tier 1, then a 1 in 150 or so chance on a boss kill to get an upgrade and like a 1 in 5-10 chance of upgrading the emblem on a player kill, now while you have an emblem you are upgrading you will still have the chances to receive the tier 1 but you can only upgrade 1 at a time (to stop people having like 5 tier 1s in their inventory). Personally if anything in the wildy should be a PvM source of emblems it should only be the 4 main bosses (Callisto, Vet'ion, Venenatis and Chaos Elemental) and like blood money drops don't allow ezone chaos ele to drop emblems. 

2 minutes ago, Batty said:

Maybe a balance betwen the 2, like a 1 in 50-100 drop rate from all 4 of the wilderness bosses, and a 1 in 20 from players for the tier 1, then a 1 in 150 or so chance on a boss kill to get an upgrade and like a 1 in 5-10 chance of upgrading the emblem on a player kill, now while you have an emblem you are upgrading you will still have the chances to receive the tier 1 but you can only upgrade 1 at a time (to stop people having like 5 tier 1s in their inventory). Personally if anything in the wildy should be a PvM source of emblems it should only be the 4 main bosses (Callisto, Vet'ion, Venenatis and Chaos Elemental) and like blood money drops don't allow ezone chaos ele to drop emblems. 

I like the mix, and the drop/upgrade rates can depend on the cost of items in the store. Higher rates but higher costs would be decent to a point since the feeling of upgrading your emblem more often would be more enticing. 

I think having it only work on the 4 wilderness bosses would be a good start, but there is a lot of potential for expansion with the variety of tough monsters in the wilderness. I'd like to see it expanded to ankous and lava/frost dragons especially since it would bring a lot more players risking emblems doing their dailies. Even things like wilderness slayer, where it has a higher chance to upgrade your emblem on task etc. 

5 minutes ago, Iron Logic said:

I like the mix, and the drop/upgrade rates can depend on the cost of items in the store. Higher rates but higher costs would be decent to a point since the feeling of upgrading your emblem more often would be more enticing. 

I think having it only work on the 4 wilderness bosses would be a good start, but there is a lot of potential for expansion with the variety of tough monsters in the wilderness. I'd like to see it expanded to ankous and lava/frost dragons especially since it would bring a lot more players risking emblems doing their dailies. Even things like wilderness slayer, where it has a higher chance to upgrade your emblem on task etc. 

Personally I feel if they are added to frost / lava dragons due to the ease of barraging 5 of them at once it should be a very rare chance to upgrade (1 in 1000-2000), same with ankous a very easy monster to kill and you can stack like 8 of them and barrage them all at once. Maybe even bring out the other wilderness bosses (chaos fanatic, scorpia and crazy archeologist) and have emblems drop from them as well.

• Like 1