fosen

too many cursed items

Problem

There are way too many cursed items on the market. Namely, I will focus on the cursed blades to convey this problem. For an item that focuses on the risk assessment of purchasing it, players are not forced to undergo this risk, as there are seemingly an endless supply of them for sale at the best price you can find, even if you were to make it yourself. This is because blood money is unstable, and has no floor value. As of making this post, there are 13 cursed blades on the market. For a server of approximately 100 players everyday, that's quite a lot of supply vs demand. 

qV1ctod.png

This is a trade post history of 5 days over September. I frequently trade blood money, and know that these prices are quite low. Typically, we have been seeing prices of 13k upwards prior to these past few days. This isn't a good example by any means of the incoming blood money as these are the lowest values of the month, but even with these numbers we can produce 3 cursed blades every 5 days. However, notice that despite the outlying figures highlighted in red, nearly 1/3 of all blood money traded over 5 days was significantly below the 13k margin we've been seeing all of September. These unstable days allowed just over 50,000 blood money to enter the market, which in terms of value is the majority of 1 cursed blade. 

Proposition

By adding a floor value to blood money, we establish a definitive profit margin, meaning that prices will eventually be based on the seller's risk assessment, and that players can make them for cheaper if they think the risk is worth the money.

I propose that we add an option like coins, to freely convert blood money into blood tokens at a rate of 1000:1. With this, we could then exchange these blood tokens for rc at a rate of 1:50, or essentially 50 rune coins for every 1000 blood money.

This basically means blood money will be tied to 10k ea as it's minimum value. This figure can be higher, but 10k alone is enough to see a drastic improvement in the amount of blood money entering the cursed item economy by upwards of 30%, as margins around 10-12k are still justifiable to be converted to RC due to volume of blood money readily available to convert into 5k RC for the daily reward like we are currently seeing with molten gloves and gauntlets exchanging for 5k at 1b and being worth 1-1.2b

As an example of an immediate result of this practice, we could take 400,000 blood money out of the cursed item economy with 1 frost or lava slayer helmet upgrade, which is equal to 8 cursed blades. 

Another example of this is that this would reduce the profit margin of cursed items by around 20%, taking the lowest price of a cursed blade from ~600m to ~700m. Currently half of the cursed blades on the market are equal to or below 700m (The 20% from this example comes from knowing the exchange items and their prices for the cursed components)

Currently it stands that blood money can be exchanged for ring of wealths in the caverns, but this is inconsistent and ineffective as the rings cannot be noted, and trade at a value of 500k per rc as opposed to the standard 200k per rc, meaning you can only exchange ~26 rune coins per minute. 

I am confident that although this topic focuses on cursed blades, this implementation of blood money to RC would improve all aspects of the cursed item market, and subsequently all other areas of the blood money market

• Like 2

Nice and very detailed suggestion, 

I'm not sure adding in a base price for blood money is the best idea as it kinda already has a base price. We have plenty of players who enjoy taking the risk of buying blood money to open cursed caskets to try and turn of profit, I am one of them. This directly takes blood money out of the game.
Items such as cursed blades are also frequently taken out of the economy through the mage of wisdom.

I think a positive change would be to bottle neck the methods to obtain a cursed blade and various cursed items. Currently you can get them mainly from enchanting, cursed caskets or the cursed crypts. Perhaps we could replace the blades in the casket and crypts loot table with 50k blood money. Players who want to get a cursed blade such as an ironman will now have all the blood money required to enchant one and players just looking to make a buck will have a consumable resource to sell at a higher price than a blade would fetch. 

17 hours ago, Logical said:

Perhaps we could replace the blades in the casket and crypts loot table with 50k blood money. Players who want to get a cursed blade such as an ironman will now have all the blood money required to enchant one

There's more to it than 50k bm. You also need corrupted blade. Which can be very hard to get as ironman. Took me around 300k worth of blood money to get one from cursed caskets. So now I need another 50k bm to make the cursed blade.

If you ask me, the reason there's so many cursed blades in the economy... It's because it's a very nice sword and for a long time BIS. When people got 50k bm, they went to the TP and bought a corrupted blade and made their cursed sword, then repeated that for alt accounts. I have made a few myself just to have them incase I make alts and I need one on them. If it was not flowing with cursed blades, it would be flowing with corrupted blades.

6 hours ago, Matt said:

There's more to it than 50k bm. You also need corrupted blade

Perhaps the 2nd BIS melee weapon should take a little more effort to obtain.