1panda80

Learning c++ from a book

Is a really bad idea.... I spent a summer doing this and still feel like it gave me less experience than just a raw month or so of working with other people on little projects and things here and there. I guess what I'm tryna say is reading is over rated (kidding, I'm sure it did help) but you should try to surround yourself with good mentors and projects so you can actually build valuable experience that keeps you interested. I think that was the main thing really, the book was old and lengthy

• Confused 1

I've hardly ever used a text book during my studies. I find reading about programming is fairly useless compared to actually getting hands on experience doing a project. I've yet to find myself in a situation where I have needed to resort to reviewing a text book and on the odd occasion I have looked at a text book (usually during a lecture) they either apply a simple process to a complex situation as an attempt to look smarter but only ends up confusing half the class or apply it in a way differing to the method we are being taught. 

No book in any field can beat hands on experience.

The book I had was not particularly a textbook. The book was not any official resource. It was a poor resource at best.  Sure it was professionally written but it is somewhat akin to 'coding for dummies' 

The cd that accompanied it doesn't work, the pacing although understandably slow lacked any depth or promiseful application and perhaps is just not to my taste. 

I'm sure there's much better literature out their but really it just comes down to learning type and how people want to consume that information. I personally felt I retained it a lot better with others

I rarely use a text book unless it's necessary but other than that, I learnt a lot of C++ from actually finishing projects