Shawnturner

Help Into Starting Programming

Hello,

I am an accountant, but i just finished few months course in Java. I think i was pretty good at it (if not best in group), i really like it. But there we were learning only language, solving problems etc. We didnt learn anything about how to apply that knowledge into building real applications or anything, so i am here hoping to get some advice how to upgread from there. 

I have few ideas of building few accounting related applications, i have pretty clear idea how to do it i would make it work for sure, but i know nothing of compatibility issuses (how to make it work anywhere), how to organise good code, how to test it, what databases to use, security, know nothing about servers, java versions....

Is it possible to even try building app with my knowledge? Can you recommend some reading that would not be overkill for me that would just help me making first usefull apps that would not be mess or am i lost case?  

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.
References:

http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/topic/407320-help-into-starting-programming/

animated infographics

I mean if you have only learned Java and haven't really applied it to anything you are fairly unprepared to develop applications, let alone release a fully working application with all of your bases covered (ie, security, compatibility etc).

In all honesty, there probably isn't much we can point you to. If you really want to fully understand programming and be able to apply that to your every day life and more importantly, add it to your resume, you are going to be best off taking a University or TAFE course on it. 

If you want to just play around with code and see what you can do, I'd suggest trying to find a free version of Visual Basic because it has a huge amount of pre-built tools, classes etc.

You will definitely be able to build a working program in Visual basic, but it will still be leagues from a finished product.

I'm currently in my second year of a Computer Science degree :P 

Hey mate, sounds like you're off to a good start if you were the best in your class!

On 11/3/2017 at 10:04 PM, Shawnturner said:

Is it possible to even try building app with my knowledge?

In my experience, the best thing to do is actually just dive in and try something out. I think that programming knowledge to a certain extend is applicable across many different languages and frameworks, so don't be too intimidated by trying something other than what you're used to.

I'm currently in the process of teaching my girlfriend a bit about mobile app development (that's my job), and it's working out pretty well. There are pleeeenty of resources available online for it and a lot of it is super relevant to today's developer demand (as in there are plenty of jobs currently available all over the world that will tap in to it).

If mobile development is something you would be interested in trying out, I personally would recommend looking into Flutter. It's quite a popular cross-platform (runs on iOS and Android with 1 code-base) mobile framework at the moment. There's a lot I like about it and definitely vouch for it.

Let me know how you get on

EDIT: shit. i didn't realise this was from 2017 - my bad.

Edited by tormentor